// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

ANCA urges OSCE MG to 'break habit of artificial even-handedness'

ANCA urges OSCE MG to 'break habit of artificial even-handedness'

PanARMENIAN.Net - Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) Executive Director Aram Hamparian issued a statement regarding Azerbaijan's most recent attacks against Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh.

"The Azerbaijani government's July 31 and Aug 1 cross-border attacks against Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh are the latest examples of its reckless military aggression in the face of international efforts to stabilize the region and set the groundwork for a fair and enduring peace,"Hamparian said.

"The OSCE Minsk Group's unwillingness to clearly condemn Azerbaijani military strikes has fostered a dangerous atmosphere of impunity that has clearly contributed to this recent escalation of violence. It is time for peace negotiators to break their bad habit of answering Aliyev's every assault with artificial even-handedness and diplomatic double-talk. Only by unequivocally denouncing Azerbaijan's attacks can they hope to constrain Aliyev's march toward a renewed Caucasus war. An important first step would be an OSCE-led international campaign demanding that Baku lift its opposition to the withdrawal of all snipers, a life-saving proposal that Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh have supported for over 3 years," he said.

On July 31 and Aug 1, Azerbaijani attacks on the lines of contact with Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh have resulted in over 10 deaths. U.S. State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf issued a statement on August 1st expressing United States "concern about the escalation of violence," but stopped short of clearly condemning Azerbaijani aggression. The statement went on to call on "the Presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan to meet at the earliest opportunity to resume dialogue on key issues."

Earlier in the day, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) Minsk Group Co-Chair, Ambassador James Warlick tweeted "We are seriously concerned about the recent upsurge in violence along the Line Of Contact. The ceasefire needs to be respected. #NKpeace"

 Top stories
Karabakh Defense Army troops continue controlling the situation along the entire line of contact and protecting their positions.
Azerbaijani troops, in particular, used various caliber firearms to fire over 240 shots towards the Armenian positions.
“The Co-chairs are in frequent touch with the Ministers and often hold meetings with them,” James Warlick said.
“We are ready to make concessions that aren’t viewed as opportune moments by Baku for attacking Karabakh,” Bako Sahakyan said.
Partner news