// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

U.S. Holocaust Museum statement features Armenian Genocide

U.S. Holocaust Museum statement features Armenian Genocide

PanARMENIAN.Net - The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum published earlier this month a statement on the centennial of the World War I, in which the Armenian Genocide was featured, according to Asbarez.

“As a result of the Ottoman government’s systematic policy of mass deportations and executions, at least one million members of its Armenian minority were killed. The most intense period of the Armenian Genocide occurred in 1915–16 when hundreds of thousands of people, including children and the elderly, died during forced marches into the desert due to violence, starvation, exposure, and disease. Knowledge of these mass murders quickly spread around the world, but there were few efforts to intervene or hold perpetrators accountable,” the Museum's statementsays.

“This massive conflict [WWI] and its divisive peace created conditions that would give rise to a second, even more destructive, world war and genocide committed under its cover,” added the statement.

The federally-funded museum, which was established in 1980 through a Congressional Mandate, unveiled its headquarters in Washington in 1993. Its stated mission is to inspire “citizens and leaders worldwide to confront hatred, prevent genocide, and promote human dignity.

“This sadly underscores that President Obama – under a pressure from a foreign government – will be heading into 2015 so very far out of step with academic scholarship, with American civil society, and even with his own promises to speak honestly about the Armenian Genocide,” said Aram Hamparian, Executive Director of the Armenian National Committee of America.

 Top stories
The Dutch parliament approved a resolution on Thursday, February 22, recognizing the Armenian Genocide of 1915-1922.
Both motions were submitted by ChristenUnie parliamentarian Joel Voordewind. All four coalition parties supported the motions.
Poggenburg was reacting to Turkish groups who oppose the concept of a new Home Ministry as proposed in a new coalition agreement.
"It was a mistake," said Ben Rhodes, who served as a deputy national security adviser in the Obama administration.
Partner news