270 ceasefire violations by Azeri side reported Aug 17-23

270 ceasefire violations by Azeri side reported Aug 17-23

PanARMENIAN.Net - 270 ceasefire violations by Azeri side were reported at the line of contact between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijani armed forces from Aug 17-23.

Azerbaijan fired over 2200 shots from various caliber weapons towards the positions of Karabakh defense army, which retains full control of the situation and takes retaliatory measures only in case of necessity.

The conflict between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan

The conflict between Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan broke out as result of the ethnic cleansing launched by the Azeri authorities in the final years of the Soviet Union. The Karabakh War was fought from 1991 (when the Nagorno Karabakh Republic was proclaimed) to 1994 (when a ceasefire was sealed by Armenia, NKR and Azerbaijan). Most of Nagorno Karabakh and a security zone consisting of 7 regions are now under control of NKR defense army. Armenia and Azerbaijan are holding peace talks mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group up till now.

 Top stories
“We expect that very serious, substantive talks will follow soon," Aliyev said at a reception on the Republic Day on May 28.
President Serzh Sargsyan said earlier that the Armenian side lost some 800 hectares (around 8 square kilometers) in the course of 4-day.
The parties discussed the situation in the Karabakh conflict zone following the early April's 4-day war and the ways to overcome the consequences.
At the meeting, the parties addressed opportunities to overcome consequences of the 4-day violence in Karabakh in early April.
Partner news