Official: 253 Armenians still missing after Karabakh war

Official: 253 Armenians still missing after Karabakh war

PanARMENIAN.Net - One year after the beginning of a devastating war unleashed by Azerbaijan against Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh), 253 people, including 231 servicemen and 22 civilians are still missing from the Armenian side, the Investigative Committee said in a statement on Monday, September 27.

According to official figures, 3781 people were killed in the hostilities. 108 soldiers of the Azerbaijani army and Azeri civilians were captured by Armenia throughout the war, the Committee added.

Authorities in Armenia continue investigating the aggressive war launched by Azerbaijan against Artsakh, the use of mercenaries recruited during hostilities and of prohibited weapons, the systematic, deliberate destruction of the peaceful settlements of Artsakh.

September 27 marks the first anniversary of the beginning of the 44-day war unleashed by Azerbaijan against Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) in fall 2020. After three unsuccessful attempts at establishing a ceasefire – all of them sabotaged by Azerbaijan – Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, Russian and Azerbaijani Presidents Vladimir Putin and Ilham Aliyev signed a trilateral statement to end the war in Karabakh after almost 45 days.

 Top stories
Armenia has registered Covid-19-related deaths in 23 vaccinated individuals so far, according to Health Minister Anahit Avanesyan.
Poland has donated 201,640 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine to Armenia's Health Ministry, the Polish Embassy in Yerevan reveals.
Coronavirus infection rates are dropping in Armenia but the death rate remains high, Anahit Avanesyan has said.
The government is planning to gradually transition to a professional army and significantly change the structure of conscription.
Partner news
---