U.S sends condolences after Yerevan explosion leaves at least six dead

U.S sends condolences after Yerevan explosion leaves at least six dead

PanARMENIAN.Net - Chargé d'affaires of the U.S. Embassy in Armenia Chip Laitinen has expressed "deepest condolences" for the tragic loss of those who died as a result of the Surmalu market blast on August 14.

"On behalf of the U.S. Embassy in Yerevan, I wish to express our deepest condolences for the tragic loss of those who died as a result of the Surmalu market blast on August 14, wish swift recovery to the injured, and commend the ongoing efforts of the Ministry of Emergency Situations and others who responded the blast," the diplomat said.

"We hold in our thoughts those who perished, as well as those who mourn their loss during this difficult time."

At least six people were killed, more than 60 others were injured and an unknown number of people are feared trapped in rubble after a strong explosion tore through the Surmalu market in Yerevan on Sunday, August 14. A five-year-old child and their pregnant mother were among those missing.

 Top stories
The situation on the contact line between Karabakh and Azerbaijan was relatively stable overnight, the Defense Army says.
Defense Minister Suren Papikyan has visited the southern Armenian province of Syunik, the Defense Ministry reported on March 18.
Armenia has registered Covid-19-related deaths in 23 vaccinated individuals so far, according to Health Minister Anahit Avanesyan.
Poland has donated 201,640 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine to Armenia's Health Ministry, the Polish Embassy in Yerevan reveals.
Partner news
---