June 21, 2012 - 13:45 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - Palestinian militants fired rockets from Gaza into Israel for a fourth consecutive day on Thursday, June 21, the army said, despite an announcement by Hamas it had agreed to a truce with the Jewish state, AFP reports.
Seven rockets slammed into southern Israel after midnight, causing no casualties and another one was intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-rocket defense system, a military spokesman said.
The latest attacks follow three days of violence in which eight Palestinians were killed in Israeli air strikes while militants fired scores of rockets at the Jewish state, one of which slammed into a border police outpost, wounding four.
The military spokesman said that since the beginning of the week, 129 projectiles fired from Gaza have hit southern Israel, resulting in the four outpost casualties as well as property damage.
The Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Islamist Hamas movement which rules Gaza, said late on Wednesday it had agreed to an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire with Israel.
"In response to the Egyptian efforts to try to stop the aggression on our people, we at Al-Qassam Brigades and all resistance factions declare our commitment to stop this round of confrontation, as long as (Israel) commits to stopping its crimes," it said in a statement.
It added that they had fired 96 rockets and nine mortars at the Jewish state during the latest wave of violence, in a rare show of force from the group that had been observing a de facto truce on rocket attacks.