Iraqi government says deadly attacks number nearly halved

Iraqi government says deadly attacks number nearly halved

PanARMENIAN.Net - The Iraqi government claimed on Saturday, Sept 1, that the number of people killed in attacks nearly halved in August compared to the previous month, but AFP figures indicated violence remained largely unchanged, the agency reports.

According to figures compiled by the ministries of health, interior and defence, 164 people died last month - 90 civilians, 35 police and 39 soldiers - which is barely half July's death toll of 325.

Government data said 260 people were wounded - 120 civilians, 80 police and 60 soldiers. It also showed that 26 insurgents were killed and 90 arrested.

The figures clashed with AFP tallies based on reports from security and medical officials that showed 278 people were killed in attacks in August, including 61 policemen and 38 soldiers, and 590 people wounded, among them 82 police and 52 soldiers.

According to the AFP tally, the death toll nationwide has been almost unchanged in the past three months - 282 people were killed in June, 278 in July.

Figures released by Iraq's government are typically lower than those cited by security and hospital officials, although in July the official figures were higher than those given by other sources.

 Top stories
Helicopter design and manufacturing company Russian Helicopters delivered as many as 212 aircraft to various customers in 2015.
The Armenian Defense Ministry is providing the CSTO leadership with full information about the clashes along the line of contact.
The White House has been increasingly outspoken in recent months about threats to free speech and democracy in Turkey.
Russian warplanes have continued to support the Syrian army and its allies as they push their offensive on the desert city.
Partner news