5 killed, dozens injured in Damascus car bomb attack

5 killed, dozens injured in Damascus car bomb attack

PanARMENIAN.Net - A car bomb killed five people and wounded dozens in the eastern Damascus district of Qaboun on Saturday, December 22 the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, according to Reuters.

Another activist group in Damascus gave no figures for the number of people killed in the blast but said bodies were still being recovered from wreckage caused by the explosion.

The British-based Observatory, which monitors violence across Syria through a network of sources on the ground, also reported clashes between rebel fighters and forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on the edge of the southern Damascus neighborhood of Hajar al-Aswad.

The district is next to the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk, which was taken over by rebels this week.

The Observatory says 44,000 people have been killed in Syria since the uprising erupted against Assad in March last year.

 Top stories
Cazeneuve said authorities are monitoring a French member of the Islamic State group identified by the U.S. State Department.
The campaign expands upon the airstrikes the United States has been conducting against the militants in Iraq since early August.
Hassan Rouhani made clear his suspicions about the long-term impact of Western military intervention in the Middle East.
Speaking in Tehran before his visit to the UN, Rouhani questioned Barack Obama’s decision to go after Isis with air strikes.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.