Lavrov says Syria's chemical weapons under control

Lavrov says Syria's chemical weapons under control

PanARMENIAN.Net - Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Saturday, Feb 2, that the Syrian authorities keep chemical weapons under control, RIA Novosti reported.

“We have reliable information that so far the Syrian government controls the situation” with the chemical weapons, Lavrov said at the International Security Conference in Munich. “If the rebels seize those weapons, they will become a huge threat. But still, the situation doesn’t give any grounds for serious worries,” he added.

Syria has not signed the international Chemical Weapons Convention and is believed to possess mustard gas and sarin, an extremely toxic nerve agent. The CIA says Syria has had a chemical weapons program "for years” and that the weapons can be “delivered by aircraft, ballistic missile, and artillery rockets. Syria said this summer that they could be used against “foreign invaders.”

Lavrov reiterated that Russia's stance against any foreign interference in the two-year civil war in Syria and a removal of its incumbent president bound in a standoff with the opposition. “The persistence of those who say that number one priority is to remove Assad is the only biggest reason for the continuing tragedy in Syria," he said.

Lavrov is also expected to meet with Biden for a round of talks on Saturday to discuss the Syrian conflict. The two are expected to share views on cooperation in nuclear arms reduction, as well as economic and trade issues. During the three-day forum Lavrov is also expected to meet with other officials, including the UN and Arab League special envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news