Egyptian court gives 3-year sentence to ex-interior minister

Egyptian court gives 3-year sentence to ex-interior minister

PanARMENIAN.Net - An Egyptian court has sentenced the country's former interior minister to three years in prison after finding him guilty of abusing his position in power by forcing police conscripts to work on his mansion and land outside Cairo, The Associated Press reported.

Habib al-Adly served as ousted leader Hosni Mubarak's security chief for more than a decade.

The Giza court on Saturday, Feb 2, also convicted former riot police chief Hassan Abdel-Hamid of authorizing the illegal labor and sentenced him to three years in prison.

Both men were fined 2.3 million Egyptian pounds ($342,000). The verdict can be appealed.

In June, al-Adly and Mubarak were sentenced to life in prison for failing to prevent the killing of protesters during the 2011 revolt that led to Mubarak's ouster. Both men appealed, and have won a retrial.

 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.