U.S. Vice President says Washington, Moscow to continue cooperation

U.S. Vice President says Washington, Moscow to continue cooperation

PanARMENIAN.Net - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden told Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Saturday, Feb 3, that Washington and Moscow should continue cooperation despite differences, RIA Novosti reported.

Biden and Lavrov met on the sidelines of the 2013 Munich Security Conference in Germany.

“The Vice President emphasized the importance of the two countries working together in the interest of international peace and security, including in Syria,” the White House said in a statement.

“The Vice President noted that while the United States and Russia will continue to have serious differences - including, among other things, on human rights and Russia's recent ban on U.S. adoptions - U.S. and Russian leadership is necessary to achieve practical solutions to the challenges facing the world today,” the statement said.

Lavrov said after the meeting with Biden that Moscow hopes the United States will take no more steps affecting bilateral relations.

Late last year, Washington angered the Russian government by introducing the so-called Magnitsky Act, a law imposing sanctions against Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses.

Russia responded by banning US citizens from adopting Russian children and prohibiting politically active Russian nongovernmental organizations from accepting financing from the United States.

Russia has faced strong international criticism over its refusal to back UN sanctions against Syria, its last ally in the Arab world, over what it called the pro-rebel bias of some resolutions proposed by western nations. Moscow denies it is backing President Bashar al-Assad and says it is concerned the Syrian president’s enforced departure would only worsen the conflict.

 Top stories
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
Partner news