Russian Deputy PM says U.S. missile shield ‘a bluff’

Russian Deputy PM says U.S. missile shield ‘a bluff’

PanARMENIAN.Net - Russia’s strategic forces are capable of penetrating the U.S. missile shield and it poses no military threat to the country, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Tuesday, April 16, according to RIA Novosti.

“We have solved the issue of penetrating the missile shield. We regret that the United States waste their money on missile defense and compel us to do the same. The missile shield is nothing for us, it’s a bluff. It poses no military threat, but remains a political and economic problem,” Rogozin said during his speech at the Russian embassy in London.

He said that most of Russia’s criticism is caused by the fact that the planned missile shield is “provocative” and “excessive by nature” and thus forces other countries to boost their strategic defenses.

The deputy prime minister, who oversees Russia’s defense industry, said that Russia was “compelled to search for a wise and asymmetric response.”

“We are carrying out a rearmament program until 2020, it would enable us to renew the hundred percent of our strategic forces. It will be done within the framework of international commitments,” the vice premier said.

Rogozin added that because of missile defense issues, countries have to divert attention and funding from other important needs, such as the asteroid threat.

“We have recently witnessed the [meteorite] event in Chelyabinsk. No one can say whether more such incidents will follow, whether we are guaranteed against meteorite strikes. Scientists are baffled by how billions that are being spent on missile shield… while a space threat to the whole humanity is being ignored,” he said.

He said that Russia seeks international cooperation in creating a global system to monitor and exchange information on potentially dangerous space objects.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news