Death toll in China quake rises to 71

Death toll in China quake rises to 71

PanARMENIAN.Net - A strong 6.6 magnitude earthquake has hit China's Sichuan province, killing at least 71 people and injuring about 2,200, RTE reported.

The epicentre is close to where a major earthquake killed almost 70,000 people in 2008.

The earthquake occurred at 8.02am (1.02am Irish time) in Lushan county near Ya'an city and the epicentre had a depth of 12km, the US Geological Survey said.

Most of the deaths were concentrated in Lushan, where water and electricity were cut off. Pictures on Chinese news sites showed collapsed buildings and people in bloodied bandages being treated in hospital.

Xinhua said rescuers in Lushan had pulled 32 survivors out of rubble.

 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.