Car bomb hits Turkish embassy in Somali capital

Car bomb hits Turkish embassy in Somali capital

PanARMENIAN.Net - A car loaded with explosives rammed into the gates of an office housing Turkish embassy staff in the Somali capital, killing three people, witnesses and police said on Saturday, July 27, according to Reuters.

"A suicide car bomb targeted a building housing Turkish embassy workers near k4 (Kilometer Four)," Ahmed Mohamud, police officer told Reuters from the scene of the blast.

Mohamud later said the number of dead was three - Somali civilians and a suspected suicide bomber, while nine others had been wounded.

"The car was taking advantage of a Turkish car that was going into the building, thus the car bomb exploded and destroyed the gate," he said.

Al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab rebels claimed responsibility for the attack, as they have for previous bombings, including one in mid-July that killed eight civilians.

"Mujahideen forces in Mogadishu have just carried out an operation targeting a group of Turkish diplomats in Hodan district," al Shabaab said on its Twitter feed.

Al Shabaab was forced out of bases in Mogadishu by Somali and African forces about two years ago, raising hopes of a return to relative security in a city hit by years of turmoil.

But militants have kept up guerrilla-style attacks and continue to control large rural areas, challenging the authority of a government less than one year old.

In the most recent brazen attack, its members attacked the main UN compound in the capital in June, killing 22 people.

The group said earlier this month it was aiming to increase the number of attacks carried out during the Ramadan fasting period.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news