At least 18 killed in Aleppo rocket strike

At least 18 killed in Aleppo rocket strike

PanARMENIAN.Net - Rocket fire against government-held areas of Syria's main northern city of Aleppo killed at least 18 people on Wednesday, December 4, a monitoring group said, according to AFP.

Among the dead were "five regime troops, including an officer," the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The attack on the Furqan and Meridian neighbourhoods also wounded at least 30 people, the Britain-based watchdog added.

State television said at least 17 people were killed in what it described as an attack by "terrorists".

Aleppo, which was once Syria's bustling commercial hub, has been one of the main focuses of the 33-month conflict since rebels seized large swathes of the city in an offensive launched in July last year.

But despite persistent skirmishes between loyalist forces and the rebels, the front lines have changed little in more than a year.

Related links:
 Top stories
The defense minister said that searchers were now planning to use a more intensive sonar to intensify the hunt for the aircraft.
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.