Gaddafi son trial adjourned to end of February

Gaddafi son trial adjourned to end of February

PanARMENIAN.Net - The proceedings against the son of late dictator Moammar Gaddafi before a militia-backed court in a western Libyan town have been adjourned until the end of February, the Associated Press reports.

Seif al-Islam Gaddafi has been held since the end of Libya's 2011 conflict by a militia in Zintan, where he briefly appeared in a local court on Thursday, Dec 12. The judge then adjourned the proceedings until Feb 27.

He is separately being tried in absentia in the capital, Tripoli, but the Zintan militia has refused to hand him over — a sign of the central government's weakness.

In Tripoli, he faces charges with nearly 40 Gaddafi regime figures, including notorious spymaster Abdullah al-Senoussi.

Seif al-Islam is also wanted by the International Criminal Court in The Hague on charges of crimes against humanity.

Related links:
 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.