Afghanistan says will release 88 prisoners despite U.S. concerns

Afghanistan says will release 88 prisoners despite U.S. concerns

PanARMENIAN.Net - Afghanistan will release 88 prisoners as planned even though the United States considers them dangerous and wants them to remain in detention, Reuters reported, citing the board reviewing their cases.

The prisoners are being held at a jail at the Bagram air base north of Kabul. The United States only recently transferred the prison to Afghan control after it had become a serious source of tension with the Afghan government.

President Hamid Karzai instructed Afghan intelligence officials to provide the review board with more evidence against the prisoners, after the United States said there was proof of their involvement in the killing of foreign troops and they posed a serious threat to security.

But the head of the review board, Abdul Shakor Dadras, said the evidence did not warrant keeping the prisoners any longer.

"The documents we have seen so far provide no reason to convict them," Dadras told Reuters by telephone late on Sunday, Jan 5. "Our decision is to release them as soon as possible if there is no incriminating evidence against them."

The disagreement over the prisoners is a further strain on Afghan-U.S. relations already seriously soured by Karzai's refusal to sign a bilateral security deal to shape the U.S. military presence after most foreign troops leave this year.

U.S. senators in Afghanistan last week pressed the president to stop the release, warning it would irreparably damage relations with the United States.

The planned release has also alarmed many senior Afghan security officials, who often see released prisoners return to the battlefield.

U.S. officials say about 40 percent of the prisoners were involved in attacks in which 57 Afghan civilians and members of the Afghan security forces were killed or wounded.

Thirty percent of the prisoners had taken part in direct attacks that killed or wounded 60 members of Afghanistan's U.S.-led NATO force.

Karzai's office did not immediately comment.

Related links:
 Top stories
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
The meeting takes place as talks have begun in Geneva to try to end the five-year Syrian civil war, which has killed at least 250,000 people.
"There is no denial that we are dealing with very significant risks," he said, during a visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos.
The Pentagon says IS has lost 20-30% of the total territory they were in control of in Iraq and Syria, including up to 40% in Iraq alone.
Partner news