Two Swedish journalists abducted in Syria released

Two Swedish journalists abducted in Syria released

PanARMENIAN.Net - Two Swedish journalists who were abducted in Syria in November have been released, according to the Associated Press.

Sweden's Foreign Ministry confirmed Wednesday, Jan8, that writer Magnus Falkehed and photographer Niclas Hammarstrom have been released and are receiving assistance from Swedish diplomats in Beirut.

The two freelance journalists were abducted as they were on their out of Syria in November.

Swedish authorities wouldn't say who abducted them or how they were set free. But national police spokeswoman Jessica Krasser Fremnell said Swedish police had worked closely with other authorities to secure their release.

Press advocacy groups say Syria has become the most dangerous country in the world for reporters over the past two years, with kidnappings becoming a major threat.

Related links:
 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.