Costa Concordia survivors mark 2nd anniversary of wreck

Costa Concordia survivors mark 2nd anniversary of wreck

PanARMENIAN.Net - Survivors of the Costa Concordia are commemorating the second anniversary of the deadly grounding off Tuscany with a candle-lit march and a moment of silence in the courtroom where the captain is on trial, the Associated Press reports.

Judges and survivors alike stood in silence Monday, Jan 13, morning inside the theater-turned courtroom where Capt. Francesco Schettino stands accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the Concordia before all passengers had evacuated. He says he's innocent.

The anniversary comes as residents of Giglio are finally seeing the end of the ordeal, with June set as the date to remove the wreck from the island's port. Giglio's commemorations include a Mass and evening candle-lit procession to mark the exact time that the Concordia slammed into a reef and capsized, killing 32 people.

Related links:
 Top stories
"It will be broken and defeated, just as all your previous campaigns were broken and defeated," Abu Muhammad al-Adnani said.
The team said they had also been barred from completing work at some sites to which they had been initially admitted.
"The terrorist organization Islamic State is a threat to public safety in Germany as well," said Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere.
Until recently, India had largely seen itself as beyond the recruiting territory of international jihadists like al Qaeda.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.