57 civilian de-miners kidnapped in Afghanistan

57 civilian de-miners kidnapped in Afghanistan

PanARMENIAN.Net - A senior Afghan official said unknown kidnappers have seized 57 civilian de-miners on their way to work in western Afghanistan.

The governor of Herat province, Faizullah Wahidi, said the de-miners – all Afghan – were abducted in the Pashtun Zargun district as they drove to an area that needed to be cleared of mines, according to the Associated Press.

Wahidi did not know who kidnapped the workers or why. He says 63 were originally taken, but six were later released.

After 30 years of near continuous conflict, Afghanistan is one of the most heavily mined countries in the world.

Although the Taliban plant mines and roadside bombs, they generally do not hamper the work of civilian de-miners who work to clear farmlands and other common land of old explosives.

Related links:
 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.