Kidnapped Egyptian diplomats released in Libya

Kidnapped Egyptian diplomats released in Libya

PanARMENIAN.Net - Libyan and Egyptian officials say some of the six Egyptian diplomats and embassy staff members kidnapped in the capital Tripoli have been released and the rest are to follow soon, the Associated Press reported.

Both officials offered no details on the late Sunday, Jan 26 release. Five Egyptian diplomats and an embassy staff member were kidnapped late Friday and early Saturday. It was not clear who abducted them.

Libyan Foreign Ministry spokesman Said al-Asswad says two of the diplomats and the embassy staffer have already been freed. Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Badr Abdelattie confirms that some were released, attributing it to official and "unofficial" mediation. He didn't elaborate.

The kidnapping followed the arrest of a senior Libyan militia leader in Egypt. Abdelattie says the two incidents were unrelated, adding that the militia leader was under investigation, without elaborating.

Related links:
 Top stories
"This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo.
David Cameron said the ban would be imposed on MPs that "have been pushing for the unacceptable steps that have been taken.
“All sides need to remember that compromise means getting less than 100%,” Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said.
The IAEA reported in 2008 that the laser facilities had been taken over by a private company that said it had no plans to enrich uranium.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.