Egypt ex-president Morsi trial set to resume in Cairo

Egypt ex-president Morsi trial set to resume in Cairo

PanARMENIAN.Net - One of the four trials of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi is due to resume in Cairo, BBC News reports.

Morsi and 14 other figures from the Muslim Brotherhood are charged with inciting the killing of protesters near the presidential palace in 2012.

At a hearing in another trial four days ago, a defiant Mr Morsi shouted that he was still the legitimate president. He was deposed by the military in July last year after huge crowds rallied against him.

He is now facing four separate criminal trials on various charges.

Morsi's Islamist supporters say the charges against him are politically motivated, although officials insist the trials are free and fair. Islamists have staged regular protests demanding the reinstatement of Morsi but have been met with a heavy crackdown in which hundreds have died.

The Muslim Brotherhood has been declared a terrorist organization and authorities have punished any public showing of support for it.

On Friday, Jan 31, riot police fired tear gas at hundreds of Morsi supporters in Cairo and Alexandria and Fayoum, south of the capital.

Last November, in his first court appearance for the trial resuming on Saturday, Morsi chanted slogans against the current government and the court. He also refused to recognize the court's legitimacy or put on the required prison uniform.

Last Tuesday he appeared in court at the beginning of a trial over his escape from prison in 2011. He was accused of organizing a mass breakout from the Wadi al-Natrun prison during the uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak, as well as the murder of prison officers.

During that court appearance, from inside a glassed-in defendants' cage, he shouted: "I am the president of the republic, how can I be kept in a dump for weeks?"

Related links:
 Top stories
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
The meeting takes place as talks have begun in Geneva to try to end the five-year Syrian civil war, which has killed at least 250,000 people.
Partner news