S. Korea, U.S. start joint military drills amid rare family reunions

S. Korea, U.S. start joint military drills amid rare family reunions

PanARMENIAN.Net - Joint military drills between South Korea and the U.S. have begun, amid rare family reunions between North and South Korean relatives separated for decades, according to BBC News.

The annual military exercises will last until April 24. They will involve Key Resolve, a computer-based simulation, and Foal Eagle, which involves air, ground and naval drills.

Pyongyang is opposed to the drills and had previously threatened to cancel the reunions if the exercises went ahead.

The military drills will involve more than 12,500 U.S. troops. The U.S. and South Korea describe the annual drills as defensive in nature, but Pyongyang says they are "exercises of war".

Last year, the exercises led to a prolonged surge in tensions, with North Korea threatening pre-emptive nuclear strikes and attacks on South Korean and US targets.

Speaking on Monday, Feb 24, South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok said: "As of now, there are no unusual movements from North Korea. We will only take action against North Korea if it makes provocations or denunciations".

Also on Monday, around 360 South Koreans met their North Korean relatives for the first time since the 1950-1953 Korean War, at a family reunion event in North Korea's Mount Kumgang resort. They were the second set of relatives chosen to attend the reunions, which come amid an apparent thaw in inter-Korean ties.

Many people were separated from their relatives by the division of the Korean peninsula after the Korean War. Pyongyang has been accused of using the family reunions, which are highly emotional events, as a bargaining chip.

North Korea has in the past cancelled the reunions after the South took actions it opposed - most recently in September.

In 2010, the program was suspended after the North's shelling of a South Korean border island.

Photo: AFP
Related links:
 Top stories
"We are concerned about the state of the European project," the foreign ministers of the Six said in a statement after talks.
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Partner news