// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

Pakistan launches new air strikes near Afghan border, 30 killed

Pakistan launches new air strikes near Afghan border, 30 killed

PanARMENIAN.Net - Pakistan's army launched new air strikes targeting militant hideouts in the tribal region of North Waziristan on Tuesday, Feb 25, killing at least 30 people and setting off a wave of refugees, military officials and local residents said, according to Reuters.

Pakistani fighter jets have been pounding targets in the region since the government's efforts to engage Taliban insurgents in peace negotiations broke down this month.

North Waziristan residents have been fleeing the area on the Afghan border in recent days, anticipating a full-scale military offensive, leaving homes, shops and villages behind and settling in safer areas, such as Bannu, a town on the edge of the region.

"The militants had captured a stretch between South Waziristan and North Waziristan and had established training centers where they were also preparing suicide bombers," said one military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Another security official said at least 30 "terrorists" had been killed in early morning air strikes.

The latest air strikes took place mainly in the remote Shawal valley and Dattakhel areas of North Waziristan, said to be sites of militant training facilities and compounds.

Reuters said it was impossible to verify how many civilians might have been killed or wounded as journalists and independent observers are not allowed to operate freely in the area.

Related links:
 Top stories
The shooting began after 6 p.m. in a McDonald's restaurant in the mall. The latest reports suggest that police are still evacuating the building.
Gunfire and explosions rocked both the main city Istanbul and capital Ankara in a chaotic night after soldiers took up positions in both cities.
German lawmakers in June passed a resolution recognizing the World War I massacre of Armenians by Ottoman forces as genocide.
The footballer and his father Jorge Messi were found guilty of three counts of tax fraud in July 6's ruling by a court in Barcelona.
Partner news