Egyptian court sentences 26 to death over terror plot

Egyptian court sentences 26 to death over terror plot

PanARMENIAN.Net - An Egyptian court sentenced 26 people to death over allegations of forming a terrorist group and targeting the vital Suez Canal water corridor, the Associated Press reports.

Cairo Criminal Court issued its verdict on Wednesday. All defendants but one was tried in absentia.

The prosecutors charged the group with planning attacks on ships passing the canal last year, security buildings, foreign tourists, Christians and police.

An al Qaeda-inspired group has claimed responsibility for a rocket-propelled grenade attack targeting the canal last year.

In 2012, an Egyptian court sentenced 14 militants to death on charges related to attacks on police and civilians in the volatile Sinai Peninsula in the aftermath of the 2011 uprising.

Eight are in prison while the rest were tried in absentia. They allegedly belonged to the extremist Tawheed and Jihad group.

Related links:
 Top stories
“The brutal secret police of authoritarian states have been empowered with sweeping surveillance capabilities,” Edin Omanovic said.
The exclusion orders would last for up to two years at a time and could be renewed. Breaches could lead to prison.
Correspondents from Zaman and Cihan were stopped in front of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building by ministry personnel.
“I don’t believe there is a military solution. But that is not the only tool available to us,” he said at the Lord Mayor’s banquet.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.