Saudi Arabia calls for withdrawal of foreign fighters from Syria

Saudi Arabia calls for withdrawal of foreign fighters from Syria

PanARMENIAN.Net - Saudi Arabia's Cabinet has called for the withdrawal of all foreign fighters from Syria and is demanding they face international justice if they committed war crimes there, the Associated Press reports.

Riyadh is concerned that Saudi militants in Syria could turn their weapons on the kingdom.

Minister of Information and Culture Abdelaziz Khoja said in a statement Monday on behalf of the Cabinet that the kingdom "renews its firm position condemning terrorism in all its forms."

Last month, Saudi King Abdullah decreed it a crime for Saudi nationals to fight in foreign conflicts. The move was largely aimed at curbing extremist Saudis fighting alongside Syrian rebels.

Volunteers from across the Sunni Muslim world have joined Syrian rebel groups, in particular an al Qaeda breakaway faction.

Lebanese and Iraqi Shiites, meanwhile, are fighting on the government side.

Related links:
 Top stories
Obama's administration has drawn criticism for its long-standing policy of prohibiting concessions to militant groups.
AI contends that the charges were fabricated in retaliation for the couple’s human rights work and criticism of the government.
Prosecutors in France stopped short of declaring they were certain, saying only that there was a "very strong presumption".
“Erdogan stressed in the past that they would never allow the unification of Kurdish cantons in northern Syria,” Demirtas said.
Partner news