Jihadists call for attacks on France over operations in Mali, CAR

Jihadists call for attacks on France over operations in Mali, CAR

PanARMENIAN.Net - A jihadist network connected to al Qaeda has distributed online pictures and messages calling for attacks on France and President Francois Hollande over French military operations in Mali and Central African Republic, the Associated Press reports.

Hollande, asked Tuesday, March 11, about the threat distributed by the al-Minbar Jihadi Media Network, told reporters that "we are extremely vigilant" but noted "it's not the first time there are threats."

The network, a clearing house for jihadi statements around the Middle East, distributed online calls for lone-wolf or other attacks to support Muslims in Mali and Central African Republic.

France has been the target of repeated extremist threats in recent weeks over its campaigns in Africa. French troops pushed al Qaeda-linked fighters out of northern Mali last year, and are trying to quell inter-religious violence in Central African Republic.

Related links:
 Top stories
"We are concerned about the state of the European project," the foreign ministers of the Six said in a statement after talks.
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Partner news