Berlusconi says none of his children seeks EU seats

Berlusconi says none of his children seeks EU seats

PanARMENIAN.Net - Italy’s former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said none of his children will run for the European Parliament in upcoming elections, according to the Associated Press.

Italian media has been full of speculation that one of his five children would run in the May elections to keep the Berlusconi name in voters' view. But Berlusconi told reporters Saturday that the reports "were all invention."

Speculation on the political prospects of Berlusconi's progeny was renewed this week when Italy's highest court confirmed his two-year ban from public office as part of his tax fraud conviction. The ruling appears to have quashed persistent reports that the three-time former premier would run himself, even though EU rules bar candidates convicted of financial crimes, the AP says.

Marina Berlusconi, the ex-premier’s eldest and a Mediaset executive, has frequently denied political aspirations.

Photo: Reuters
Related links:
 Top stories
The team said they had also been barred from completing work at some sites to which they had been initially admitted.
"The terrorist organization Islamic State is a threat to public safety in Germany as well," said Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere.
Until recently, India had largely seen itself as beyond the recruiting territory of international jihadists like al Qaeda.
The political leader of Iraq's Kurds earlier appealed for international military aid to help defeat the Islamist militants.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.