Libyan cabinet seeks more power, denies resignation reports

Libyan cabinet seeks more power, denies resignation reports

PanARMENIAN.Net - Libya's cabinet has a sent letter to parliament asking for more power and a longer mandate, but denies reports it has resigned, a government spokesman said on Tuesday, April 8, according to Reuters.

Television stations in Libya and across the Arab world ran reports earlier on Tuesday that the cabinet had stepped down.

"The government is working normally but there was a letter sent to the General National Congress saying the government needs more authority to work," the spokesman said.

Parliament gave Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni a temporary mandate which needs to be renewed every two weeks after it sacked Ali Zeidan as head of the government last month.

 Top stories
Sisi spoke by phone to French President Francois Hollande and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi about the Libya situation.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry denied any rift with EU leaders, saying, "I keep hearing people trying to create one.
"As two neighbors, Iran and Russia have common viewpoints toward political, regional and global issues," Dehghan said.
At least 2,500 and possibly up to 5,000 suspects have traveled from Europe to conflicts in Syria and Iraq, Wainwright said.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.