// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

Boston to mark bombings anniversary

Boston to mark bombings anniversary

PanARMENIAN.Net - Memorial ceremonies are due to be held in the U.S. city of Boston to mark Tuesday, April 15, the anniversary of the deadly bombing at last year's marathon, BBC News reports.

U.S. Vice-President Joe Biden and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick will attend a tribute at the Hynes Convention Center at midday (16:00GMT).

A flag-raising ceremony and silence will later be held at the finish line.

Three people were killed and some 264 injured when two bombs exploded near the finish line at last year's race.

Tuesday's ceremonies will include representatives from families of the victims as well as members of the emergency services, government agencies and civic organizations.

This year's Boston Marathon is due to take place on April 21.

Officials have told residents and visitors to expect a larger than normal police presence through the week leading up to the event.

However, Boston Mayor Martin Walsh - who will also attend Tuesday's ceremonies - said it would be "the Boston Marathon as it has always been". "Our goal is for everyone to enjoy the race," he said.

City health officials say they have also made preparations to help those affected by the bombings cope with the anniversary.

"The first anniversary of a disaster is always difficult," said Barbara Ferrer, director of the Boston public health commission.

Bombing suspect Dzokhar Tsarnaev, 20, is due to stand trial in November. He has pleaded not guilty to 30 charges, of which 17 carry the possibility of capital punishment.

Prosecutors allege that he set off two pressure cooker bombs with his older brother Tamerlan, who later died in a police shoot-out.

 Top stories
The Israeli military said its aircraft attacked targets in Syria hours after a mortar bomb from fighting in Syria struck the Golan Heights.
Transnistria does not share a border with Russia. It has been de facto independent since the 1990s but is not internationally recognised.
Eight-seat Beechcraft planes will carry passengers to the Black Sea city of Batumi and the highland regions of Kazbegi and Svaneti.
One of the wounded soldiers later died in hospital despite all attempts to save his life, lifting the death toll to three, the military said.
Partner news