6 reported dead in Mount Everest avalanche

6 reported dead in Mount Everest avalanche

PanARMENIAN.Net - Six people are reported to have been killed after an early-morning avalanche on the slopes of Mount Everest, BBC News reported.

The avalanche struck around 06:45 local time (01:00GMT) in an area known as the "popcorn field", just above Everest base camp at an elevation of 5,800m (19,000ft), an official told the BBC.

An official said four bodies had been found and two more were being dug out of the snow.

Everest is crowded ahead of peak season on the 8,850m summit.

Tourism Ministry official Madhusudan Burlakoti told the BBC that three helicopters had been sent to the area to help in rescue efforts.

Photo: International Mountain Guides
 Top stories
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Investigators say they found a militant ring in Sardinia, with a suicide attacker potentially planning to target the Holy See.
“Every day Americans need a champion, and I want to be that champion, so you can do more than just get by,” Clinton said.
Defense team say he took part in the bombing, but argue that his elder brother, Tamerlan, was the mastermind of the attack.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.