Nigeria vows $300,000 reward for info on kidnapped girls

Nigeria vows $300,000 reward for info on kidnapped girls

PanARMENIAN.Net - Nigeria's police have offered a $300,000 cash reward to anyone who can help locate and rescue more than 200 abducted schoolgirls, BBC News reports.

They were kidnapped more than three weeks ago by armed Islamist militants from their boarding school in the north-eastern state of Borno.

Another eight girls were taken on Sunday from a village near the militants' hideout in a nearby forest. A team of US experts has been sent to Nigeria to help in the hunt.

Earlier this week, the Boko Haram group admitted that its fighters had abducted the girls in the middle of the night from their school in the town of Chibok on April 14.

The group, whose name means "Western education is forbidden" in the local Hausa language, has staged a wave of attacks in northern Nigeria in recent years, with an estimated 1,500 killed in the violence and subsequent security crackdown this year alone.

A statement from the police said the 50m naira reward would be given to anyone who "volunteers credible information that will lead to the location and rescue of the female students".

Six telephone numbers are provided, calling on the general public to be "part of the solution to the present security challenge".

"The police high command also reassures all citizens that any information given would be treated anonymously and with utmost confidentiality," the statement said.

 Top stories
Cazeneuve said authorities are monitoring a French member of the Islamic State group identified by the U.S. State Department.
The campaign expands upon the airstrikes the United States has been conducting against the militants in Iraq since early August.
Hassan Rouhani made clear his suspicions about the long-term impact of Western military intervention in the Middle East.
Speaking in Tehran before his visit to the UN, Rouhani questioned Barack Obama’s decision to go after Isis with air strikes.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.