France says 2,000 troops will stay in CAR

France says 2,000 troops will stay in CAR

PanARMENIAN.Net - France's defense minister said some 2,000 French troops will stay in Central African Republic at least until autumn, in part to keep terrorist network Boko Haram at bay, the Associated Press reports.

The Islamic extremist group has claimed responsibility for kidnapping nearly 300 girls and young women in Nigeria in recent weeks, and for attacks around the region. France is providing military help to Nigeria to try to rescue the girls.

French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Thursday, May 8, the French troops will stay in Central African Republic because of the need to "to not let a security vacuum emerge that Boko Haram could profit from."

He also said a French officer was killed by a homemade bomb overnight in northern Mali, where France is wrapping up a military operation to root out terrorists.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news