At least 4 killed as blasts rock Kenyan capital

At least 4 killed as blasts rock Kenyan capital

PanARMENIAN.Net - At least four people were killed on Friday in two explosions in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, the National Disaster Operations Centre (NDOC) said, according to Reuters.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility. In the past such attacks have been widely blamed on the Somali Islamist militant group al Shabaab, which wants Kenyan troops out of Somalia and in September killed 67 people in an attack on a Nairobi shopping mall.

"Two explosions reported. First blast was from a 14-seater matatu (minibus), second blast within Gikomba Market. Four fatalities," NDOC said on Twitter.

The blasts came shortly after Kenya rebuked Britain, the United States, France and Australia for issuing travel warnings about the country and hundreds of tourists began leaving resorts along the Indian Ocean coast.

Jared Ojuk, Kenya's deputy police spokesman, told Reuters police suspected the blasts were caused by an improvised explosive device (IED).

"Very many people are injured. I don't know how many are dead but for sure there are fatalities," Mwangi Maina, a trader selling second-hand shoes at Gikomba Market, said.

Kenya Red Cross said more than 10 people were hospitalized.

"Terrorism is not an evil that was born in Kenya. Terrorism is a worldwide phenomenon," President Uhuru Kenyatta told a previously planned news conference that took place shortly after the blasts.

 Top stories
“The brutal secret police of authoritarian states have been empowered with sweeping surveillance capabilities,” Edin Omanovic said.
The exclusion orders would last for up to two years at a time and could be renewed. Breaches could lead to prison.
Correspondents from Zaman and Cihan were stopped in front of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building by ministry personnel.
“I don’t believe there is a military solution. But that is not the only tool available to us,” he said at the Lord Mayor’s banquet.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.