May 21, 2014 - 14:57 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - The Islamist group Boko Haram has been accused of killing at least 17 people in an attack on a village in north-east Nigeria, close to where hundreds of schoolgirls were seized, BBC News reported.
It comes a day after 118 people died in a twin bomb attack in the central city of Jos, also blamed on Boko Haram.
In the latest attack, Boko Haram fighters reportedly spent hours killing and looting in the village of Alagarno, which is near Chibok, from where the schoolgirls were abducted last month.
The abductions of more than 200 girls caused international outrage and put pressure on the Nigerian authorities to deal with the threat from Boko Haram.
Witnesses in Alagarno said the suspected Boko Haram fighters arrived close to midnight before leaving in stolen vehicles several hours later.
Meanwhile, the search for bodies is continuing in Jos following twin bombings on Tuesday, May 20, that reduced buildings to rubble.
The attacks targeted a crowded market and a hospital, and the second blast went off 30 minutes after the first - killing rescue workers who had rushed to the scene.
Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan condemned the bombings, and said those who carried out the attacks were "cruel and evil". His office said he was "fully committed to winning the war against terror".
He announced increased measures to tackle the militants, including a multinational force around Lake Chad which comprises a battalion each from Chad, Niger, Cameroon and Nigeria.