7 dead in California drive-by shootings

7 dead in California drive-by shootings

PanARMENIAN.Net - A gunman has killed six people in drive-by shootings in the Californian city of Santa Barbara, U.S. police said, according to BBC News.

The shootings took place on Friday, May 23 night near the University of California-Santa Barbara, where two-thirds of the residents are students.

The suspected gunman was found dead in his car with a bullet wound in the head. It is not clear whether the wound was self-inflicted, police said.

Seven other people are in hospital, and being treated for bullet wounds.

The shootings occurred at several sites in the Isla Vista neighborhood, and there were nine crime scenes, police said.

"We have obtained and are currently analysing videotaped evidence that suggests that this atrocity was a premeditated mass murder," Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown told reporters.

He said police were familiar with a YouTube video entitled Elliot Rodger's Retribution, which shows a young man complaining about years of rejection by women.

 Top stories
The team said they had also been barred from completing work at some sites to which they had been initially admitted.
"The terrorist organization Islamic State is a threat to public safety in Germany as well," said Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere.
Until recently, India had largely seen itself as beyond the recruiting territory of international jihadists like al Qaeda.
The political leader of Iraq's Kurds earlier appealed for international military aid to help defeat the Islamist militants.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.