Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria claims responsibility for Homs bombings

Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria claims responsibility for Homs bombings

PanARMENIAN.Net - The main al Qaeda affiliate in Syria has claimed responsibility for the two latest car bombings in a pro-government neighborhood of the central city of Homs that killed at least 10 people, the Associated Press reported.

The Nusra Front made the claim in a statement posted Monday, May 26, on its Twitter feed.

The bombings occurred on Sunday, weeks after rebels and pro-government forces agreed to a truce that allowed for the evacuation of opposition fighters from besieged parts of the city.

Homs activist Thaer Khalidiya says there is concern the attacks could threaten a similar agreement that is being negotiated in the nearby opposition-held area of al-Waar.

On Friday, the warring sides struck a three-day truce in al-Waar to work out a deal.

 Top stories
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Investigators say they found a militant ring in Sardinia, with a suicide attacker potentially planning to target the Holy See.
“Every day Americans need a champion, and I want to be that champion, so you can do more than just get by,” Clinton said.
Defense team say he took part in the bombing, but argue that his elder brother, Tamerlan, was the mastermind of the attack.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.