Libyan new Prime Minister’s house attacked

Libyan new Prime Minister’s house attacked

PanARMENIAN.Net - Libya's Prime Minister, who was recently approved in a contested parliamentary vote, was unharmed in an attack on his home that set off a gunbattle with guards early Tuesday, May 27, a government official said, according to the Associated Press.

The official said four attackers fired rocket-propelled grenades at the house of Ahmed Maiteg, sparking clashes with security guards. One of the assailants was killed and another was arrested while the rest fled, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the press.

Maiteg was named premier in a vote deemed illegitimate by non-Islamist lawmakers.

The appointment escalated a political crisis pitting Islamist lawmakers and militias against forces loyal to Gen. Khalifa Hifter, who has launched an armed campaign to try to restore order three years after the revolt that toppled and killed Moammar Gaddafi.

Thousands of Libyans have held demonstrations in recent days demanding the elected assembly halt sessions and accusing it of financing Islamist militias and acting as their political wing.

Islamists have condemned the offensive launched earlier this month as a "coup," while several prominent government officials, diplomats and military units have rallied to Hifter's cause, hoping he can bring stability to the petroleum-rich North African country.

Many of the heavily armed rebel brigades that defeated Gaddafi's forces three years ago have since been transformed into militias that refuse to disarm or join the national security forces. They have been blamed for a string of kidnappings and assassinations of diplomats, government officials, activists, judges, and members of police and army.

Last year Islamist militiamen abducted then Prime Minister Ali Zidan in a dramatic illustration of the challenges faced by the weak central government. He was released unharmed several hours later when other militias intervened.

 Top stories
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
The meeting takes place as talks have begun in Geneva to try to end the five-year Syrian civil war, which has killed at least 250,000 people.
"There is no denial that we are dealing with very significant risks," he said, during a visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos.
Partner news