Blasts hit four subway stations in Cairo, officials say

Blasts hit four subway stations in Cairo, officials say

PanARMENIAN.Net - Explosions have struck four subway stations in Cairo, wounding two people and causing widespread panic among morning commuters.

The Egyptian security officials said the blasts took place early on Wednesday, June 25 morning in stations in central and northern Cairo. They were caused by homemade explosive devices. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to media, according to the Associated Press.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attacks — the first in the Egyptian capital since last month's election of former army chief Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi as the country's new president.

El-Sissi led the military's ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi after millions demonstrated against him in the streets last July.

Since then, Islamic militants have stepped up attacks against the military and police across Egypt.

 Top stories
“The brutal secret police of authoritarian states have been empowered with sweeping surveillance capabilities,” Edin Omanovic said.
The exclusion orders would last for up to two years at a time and could be renewed. Breaches could lead to prison.
Correspondents from Zaman and Cihan were stopped in front of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building by ministry personnel.
“I don’t believe there is a military solution. But that is not the only tool available to us,” he said at the Lord Mayor’s banquet.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.