Hyper-violent drama “The World of Kanako” stirs controversy in Japan

Hyper-violent drama “The World of Kanako” stirs controversy in Japan

PanARMENIAN.Net - “Confessions” director Tetsuya Nakashima’s latest hyper-violent drama “The World of Kanako (Kawaki)” has stirred up a storm of controversy since its June 27 release in Japan, Variety reported.

Slapped with an R-15 rating, meaning than no one 14 and under can see it, the pic stars Koji Yakusho (“Memoirs of a Geisha,” “13 Assassins”) as a former detective with a hair-trigger temper searching for his missing teenage daughter, whose “model student” image turns out to be a sham.

The hero’s outrageous behavior, from violent rape to attempted vehicular homicide, has prompted a flood of critical comments on message boards and social networks, especially when theaters offered a special student discount to encourage more teens the daughter’s age to see the film. “This is a film that shouldn’t be shown to students,” one commentator opined.

In reaction Nakashima has issued a statement saying “I’m really sorry if (the film) is too grotesque.” However, he also defends his over-the-top treatment as a continuation of themes he dealt with in 2010 smash “Confessions.”

In that pic a middle school teacher (Takako Matsu) takes slow-burning revenge against two students she believes killed her toddler daughter. The pic earned $38 million in Japan, making it the 7th highest-earning local film for the year, and it topped the box office in other parts of Asia. “The human feelings of love and hate are not always so far apart,” Nakashima explains. “’Kanako’ is a film I felt that I had to make.”

“Kanako” has its fervent Internet defenders, as well as paying fans.

Opening on 303 screens with Gaga distributing, it earned $1.1 million on 83,400 admissions for the June 28/29 weekend and entered the B.O. chart at number four. It now looks likely to finish with about half the take of “Confessions,” though the online uproar could push this total higher.

 Top stories
The embassy staff were evacuated to neighboring Tunisia "due to the ongoing violence, the U.S. State Department said.
Another 10,000 fled Mosul after ISIS took control at the beginning of June and numbers dropped have fallen rapidly since.
The announcement comes just two days after President Abdullah Gül confirmed that he would not seek a second term.
In the report, the Observatory said its activists on the ground have the names of 5,641 rebels who have been killed in infighting.
Partner news
Soghomon Tehlirian assassinated Talaat Pasha on March 15, 1921

Operation Nemesis was a covert operation by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation carried out from 1920 to 1922, during which a number of former Ottoman political and military figures were assassinated for their role in the Armenian Genocide.