Afghan suicide attack leaves at least 4 NATO troops dead

Afghan suicide attack leaves at least 4 NATO troops dead

PanARMENIAN.Net - Four NATO troops have been killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan’s Parwan province, the ISAF confirmed. The blast also killed two Afghan policemen and at least 10 civilians, local police said, according to RT.

Some reports say the NATO soldiers killed in the attack were from the Czech Republic. Earlier Ziaul Rahman Sayedkhili, a senior police officer in the eastern province of Parwan, said the blast had killed six NATO servicemen.

He said a joint ISAF-Afghan force was deployed to the village of Qalandar Khil to investigate a rocket attack on a military base, which happened two days ago, and was targeted by the bomber. "There was a suicide bomber on a bicycle who detonated his explosives which killed 10 local civilians, two policemen and six ISAF soldiers," Sayedkhili said.

Bagram District Police Chief Mohammad Masoom Farzaye said at least 11 children were killed in the attack.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing, which targeted a convoy of NATO forces in the city of Charikar, which located some 70 km north of Kabul, local media reported.

The incident was the deadliest this year for foreign troops deployed in the strife-torn country.

The ISAF troops are preparing to withdraw from Afghanistan after 12 years on the ground.

The bombing comes amid growing tension in Afghanistan, as presidential hopeful Abdullah Abdullah rejected Monday the preliminary results of last month’s election, which put his rival Ashraf Ghani in the lead.

Some of Abdullah’s supporters called on forming an alternative government, should Ghani be declared Afghanistan’s new president.

The developments prompted rebuke from U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who warned against any attempt to seize power in Afghanistan illegally.

 Top stories
"We are concerned about the state of the European project," the foreign ministers of the Six said in a statement after talks.
The Siege Watch report says 1.09 million people are living in 46 besieged communities in Syria, far more than the 18 listed by the UN.
Rebel-held areas in and around Aleppo are still home to 350,000 people, and aid workers have said they could soon fall to the government.
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Partner news