Norway's intelligence warns of Islamist threat

Norway's intelligence warns of Islamist threat

PanARMENIAN.Net - Norway's intelligence service said Thursday, July 24 it has received information about an imminent "concrete threat" against Norway from people with links to Islamic fighters in Syria, according to the Associated Press.

Benedicte Bjoernland, the head of Norwegian security service PST, said the agency has received "reliable information" from a foreign partner about some kind of attack "within days."

"It was unspecific about what the target might be," Bjoernland said, adding PST has no information about how or when such an attack would take place.

According to PST's assessment last month, about 50 people have traveled to Syria from Norway as foreign fighters, half of whom have now returned to Norway. Bjoernland declined to give further details.

The domestic intelligence agency could not exclude that people involved with the threat already were in Norway, adding it had called staff back from their summer vacations to further investigate the information.

Norway is still recovering from the 2011 attack by far-right fanatic Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 69 people in a shooting spree at a political youth camp, and eight others in a bombing of government headquarters.

 Top stories
The launch would be in defiance of repeated warnings by governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
Carter said he looked forward to discussing the offer of ground troops with the Saudi Defense Minister in Brussels next week.
The meeting takes place as talks have begun in Geneva to try to end the five-year Syrian civil war, which has killed at least 250,000 people.
"There is no denial that we are dealing with very significant risks," he said, during a visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos.
Partner news