Islamists abduct dozens of boys, men in Nigeria: report

Islamists abduct dozens of boys, men in Nigeria: report

PanARMENIAN.Net - Suspected Islamist Boko Haram fighters have abducted dozens of boys and men in a raid on a remote village in northeast Nigeria, loading them onto trucks and driving them off, witnesses who fled the violence said on Friday, Aug 15, according to Reuters.

The kidnappings come four months after Boko Haram, which is fighting to reinstate a medieval Islamic caliphate in religiously mixed Nigeria, abducted more than 200 schoolgirls from the village of Chibok.

Several witnesses who fled after the Sunday's raid on Doron Baga, a sandy fishing village near the shores of Lake Chad, said the militants had burned several houses and that as many as 97 people were unaccounted for.

"They left no men or boys in the place; only young children, girls and women," a witness said, quoted by Reuters.

"They were shouting 'Allah Akbar' (God is greatest), shooting sporadically. There was confusion everywhere. They started parking our men and boys into their vehicles, threatening to shoot whoever disobey them. Everybody was scared."

The villagers said six older men were also killed in Sunday's raid.

Boko Haram, seen as the number one security threat to Africa's top economy and oil producer, has dramatically increased attacks on civilians in the past year, and the once-grassroots movement has rapidly lost popular support as it gets more blood thirsty.

Its solution - kidnapping boys and forcing them to fight and abducting girls as sex slaves - is chilling echo of Uganda's Lord's Resistance Army, which has operated in the same way in Uganda, South Sudan and central Africa for decades.

A security source, according to Reuters, said they were aware of the incident but were still investigating the details.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news