Iranian Foreign Minister says nuke deal unlikely by Nov deadline

Iranian Foreign Minister says nuke deal unlikely by Nov deadline

PanARMENIAN.Net - Iran's Foreign Minister said Friday, Aug 15, it is unlikely to reach a final nuclear accord with world powers by a November deadline, the Associated Press reports.

Parliament's news website quoted Mohammad Javad Zarif as saying that even if a general agreement is reached before the deadline, the two sides will require more time to discuss details. "Hence, it is unlikely to reach a final conclusion before a four-month span," he said.

Zarif said the talks could "quickly" reach a conclusion if world powers show "strong will." He said the other side has moved cautiously over the past few months but that the negotiations are making progress.

Iran and the P5+1 group — the U.S., Britain, France, Russia and China plus Germany — in July extended their nuclear talks until November. Western powers have long suspected Iran is secretly pursuing a nuclear weapons capability alongside its civilian program, charges denied by Tehran, which says its nuclear program is entirely for peaceful purposes like power generation and the manufacture of medical isotopes.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, a relative moderate, was elected last year after vowing to engage with Western powers to resolve the decade-old nuclear impasse and get crippling sanctions lifted.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who makes the final decision on all major issues, has lent support to the talks but expressed doubt they will lead anywhere. On Wednesday Khamenei said the United States had only grown more hostile to Iran since the talks began, and that there was no point in holding direct negotiations with Washington.

 Top stories
Tsarnaev is likely to be moved to a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, to await execution, but there could be years of appeals.
The measures are also expected to introduce banning orders for extremist organizations who use hate speech in public places.
The U.S. State Department offered up to $7mln for information on Qaduli whom it described as a senior IS official.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp.
Partner news