// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

Iraqi Kurds launch attack to retake flashpoint town of Jalawla from IS

Iraqi Kurds launch attack to retake flashpoint town of Jalawla from IS

PanARMENIAN.Net - Iraq's Kurdish peshmerga forces on Friday, August 22 launched an operation to retake the flashpoint town of Jalawla from Islamic State jihadist fighters, Kurdish officials said, according to Agence France-Presse.

Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) party official Shirko Mirwais said the battle to reclaim the town lost to IS fighters on August 11 had already left several dead on both sides.

"The peshmerga advanced on Jalawla from several directions" before dawn, he said, adding that they had already taken back several positions, cutting off the militants.

He said nine peshmerga had been wounded in the fighting but could not say how many had been killed.

Another PUK official, Mullah Bakhtiar, confirmed the operation was under way and said it had already achieved some of its goals.

Kurdish forces lost at least 10 fighters when IS took the town, a strategic choke-point 130 kilometres (80 miles) northeast of Baghdad and only 30 (18 miles) from the border with Iran.

 Top stories
The shooting began after 6 p.m. in a McDonald's restaurant in the mall. The latest reports suggest that police are still evacuating the building.
Gunfire and explosions rocked both the main city Istanbul and capital Ankara in a chaotic night after soldiers took up positions in both cities.
German lawmakers in June passed a resolution recognizing the World War I massacre of Armenians by Ottoman forces as genocide.
The footballer and his father Jorge Messi were found guilty of three counts of tax fraud in July 6's ruling by a court in Barcelona.
Partner news