Hollande says extra 3,000 people hired for Euro 2016 security

Hollande says extra 3,000 people hired for Euro 2016 security

PanARMENIAN.Net - French President Francois Hollande said private security firms have hired an additional 3,000 people for the European Championship soccer tournament, the Associated Press reports.

After last week's Brussels attacks that killed at least 35 people, French authorities decided to continue with Euro 2016 from June 10-July 10 as planned, including the fan zones where spectators gather to watch games on large screens.

Hollande said 2.5 million people are expected to attend the matches in 10 French cities, and about 5 million are expected to visit the open-air areas.

Referring to the high risks of attacks, Hollande said in a speech to sports professionals in Paris that "we must show that sport, like culture, like our lifestyle, will not yield to this pressure and this threat."

 Top stories
Mkhitaryan has been feeling discomfort in his left thigh after an injury he suffered in the match against Torino.
Arsen Goulamirian, the WBA “super” cruiserweight champion, is defending his belt against Constantin Bejenaru.
Armenian grandmaster Levon Aronian launched FIDE World Rapid Championship underway in Moscow, Russia.
Mkhitaryan's scorpion kick against Sunderland HD is among football's most memorable moments from the 2010s.
Partner news