Syria aid convoy denied entry to besieged Damascus suburb

Syria aid convoy denied entry to besieged Damascus suburb

PanARMENIAN.Net - Syrian government forces have blocked what would have been the first aid convoy to a besieged Damascus suburb for more than three years, BBC News reports.

The convoy had been given permission "from all parties" to proceed, the UN and Red Cross said.

About 4,000 people are thought to be trapped in the rebel-held suburb of Darayya.

Earlier this month, the UN said the Syrian government was refusing to allow aid to hundreds of thousands of people.

In a warning on Friday, May 13 Save the Children said that 12,000 people, a quarter of them children, were running out of food and medicine after the last route into the Khan Eshieh Palestinian refugee camp near Damascus was blocked.

Government forces shelled parts of Darayya on Thursday, the UK-based monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said.

The suburb borders a military airport used by Russian planes in support of the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

 Top stories
The House of Representatives overwhelmingly voted Tuesday, October 29 to officially recognize the Armenian Genocide.
French actor of Armenian descent Charles Gérard died September 19 at the age of 96, Figaro reports.
Archaeological relics related to the Kingdom of Urartu (860 BC – 590 BC) has recently been found in Anaqizli mount.
Work will be performed in Alexandria, Virginia and Azerbaijan, and is expected to be completed in September 2020.
Partner news