Moscow proposes joint Syria air strikes with U.S. from May 25

Moscow proposes joint Syria air strikes with U.S. from May 25

PanARMENIAN.Net - Russia has proposed to the U.S.-led coalition that they stage joint airstrikes on Syrian rebels including Nusra Front who are not observing the ceasefire, starting on May 25, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday, May 20, according to Reuters.

Such action would be coordinated with the Syrian government, he told a Defense Ministry meeting broadcast on state television, adding that Moscow reserved the right to stage strikes unilaterally.

Washington has consistently refused to join any operation that is coordinated with the Syrian government, as has been the case with Russia's campaign of airstrikes that began in September last year.

Shoigu said joint airstrikes should also target convoys carrying weapons and ammunition crossing into Syria from Turkey, Reuters says.

While Russia supports the government of President Bashar al-Assad, the United States - along with its allies in the West and the Gulf - back rebels trying to overthrow him.

However, both sides oppose the al Qaeda-linked Nusra Front, which was not included in a ceasefire deal which has failed to prevent widespread violence.

Shoigu said the proposed joint airstrikes would help the stalled peace process.

"We believe the adoption of these measures will allow a transition to a peaceful process to be achieved in the entire territory of Syria," he said. "Of course, these measures have been coordinated with the leadership of the Syrian Arab Republic."

Shoigu said discussions with U.S. military experts based in Jordan and other counterparts in Geneva had begun on Thursday, Reuters says.

But he added: "We reserve the right to start from May 25 unilateral strikes on units of international terrorist groups and illegal armed groups which have not joined the ceasefire."

 Top stories
The House of Representatives overwhelmingly voted Tuesday, October 29 to officially recognize the Armenian Genocide.
French actor of Armenian descent Charles Gérard died September 19 at the age of 96, Figaro reports.
Archaeological relics related to the Kingdom of Urartu (860 BC – 590 BC) has recently been found in Anaqizli mount.
Work will be performed in Alexandria, Virginia and Azerbaijan, and is expected to be completed in September 2020.
Partner news