June 21, 2016 - 13:04 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - A man with a fake suicide belt was arrested after a bomb scare at a shopping center triggered a major anti-terror operation in central Brussels on Tuesday, June 21, federal prosecutors said, according to AFP.
Belgium remains on a high state of alert after Islamic State-claimed bomb attacks in March left 32 dead at the airport and on the metro.
Tuesday's incident began at about 6:30 am (0430 GMT) after a report of a man acting suspiciously near the City 2 shopping centre set off a bomb alert.
"The situation is for now under control. We remain vigilant," Prime Minister Charles Michel said after an emergency meeting of his security cabinet.
A bomb squad team was immediately deployed at the shopping centre, one of the main retail hubs of the Belgian capital, AFP says.
"No bomb has so far been found. The suicide vest found on a suspect was fake," the Brussels prosecutors office told AFP.
Only one exit remained open at the nearby Rogier metro station, where soldiers checked passengers bags and belongings.
Police and soldiers sealed off the immediate area, an AFP reporter on the scene said
The incident comes only days after Belgian authorities charged three men with "attempted terrorist murder" after raiding dozens of homes linked to a reported threat to fans watching during a Euro 2016 football game.