// IP Marketing video - START// IP Marketing video - END

Syrian military announces new offensive in rebel-held eastern Aleppo

Syrian military announces new offensive in rebel-held eastern Aleppo

PanARMENIAN.Net - The Syrian military has announced a new offensive in rebel-held eastern Aleppo, where a quarter of a million people are living under siege, BBC News reports.

Jets pounded rebel positions in the city on Wednesday, September 21 night as a week-old truce collapsed, reportedly killing at least 13 people.

It is unclear whether the new offensive will involve ground troops.

Talks between the U.S. and Russia on reviving the collapsed ceasefire have broken up without progress in New York.

Russia and the U.S. support Syria's government and opposition respectively.

The U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, said Washington could not be the only one trying to hold open the door to peace. The U.S. wants Russia to press the Syrian government to ground its warplanes.

Kerry added that he would hold further consultations with the Russian team on Friday.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that would amount to a "unilateral pause". Some had attempted to present the ceasefire as if only the Syrian government should be taking steps, he said, but the opposition also needed to stop fighting.

The UN envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, described the meeting as "long, painful and disappointing".

This feels like a very serious breakdown, with little obvious room left for dialogue until the major powers find new space for compromise, the BBC's diplomatic correspondent, James Robbins, reports from New York.

The week in new York is heading towards disastrous diplomatic failure, he adds.

Syrian state media quoted army officials as urging civilians in eastern parts of the city to avoid areas where "terrorists" were operating.

They said there were exit points for those who wanted to flee, including rebels.

Women and children are believed to be among those killed in the latest bombing. Some reports put the death toll as high as 45.

An AFP news agency journalist reports that his entire street in the southern Bustan al-Qasr district was left burning after warplanes dropped incendiary bombs.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based group of opposition activists, said 14 air strikes had hit Bustan al-Qasr and the neighbouring Kallasa district, starting "massive fires", as rebels and troops clashed.

Rami Abdul Rahman, the director of the Observatory, described them as "the most intense strikes in months" on the two areas, with three women and three children among the dead.

The Aleppo Media Centre said the fires had been caused by "incendiary phosphorus bombs". Video footage posted by it and another pro-opposition activist group, Thiqa, showed intense blazes lighting up the night sky.

Aleppo, once Syria's commercial and industrial hub, has been divided roughly in two since 2012, with the government controlling the west and rebels the east.

 Top stories
French actor of Armenian descent Charles Gérard died September 19 at the age of 96, Figaro reports.
Archaeological relics related to the Kingdom of Urartu (860 BC – 590 BC) has recently been found in Anaqizli mount.
On land where once stood a cherished church that Sara Corning may have attended, a statue of her now stands.
The integration program initialed by the countries in early September is designed for a year and a half.
Partner news